SGS Informs on the Product Information File Required under EU Cosmetics Regulation
SGS provides readers with an overview of the product information file (PIF) required by EU Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009.
Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 requires that a product information file (PIF) is kept for ten years for every cosmetic product placed onto the market within the European Union (EU). This article looks at the requirements that this regulation sets for the product information file and what it needs to include.
What Should the Cosmetics Product Information File Contain?
Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 states in Article 11 that the product information file should contain:
- A description of the cosmetic product that enables the product information file to be clearly attributed to the cosmetic product.
- The cosmetic product safety report.
- A description of the method of manufacturing and a statement on compliance with good manufacturing practice (GMP). GMP is covered in Article 8 of the Regulation.
- Where justified by the nature or the effect of the cosmetic product, proof of the effect claimed for the cosmetic product.
- Data on any animal testing performed by the manufacturer, his agents or suppliers, relating to the development or safety assessment of the cosmetic product or its ingredients, including any animal testing performed to meet the legislative or regulatory requirements of countries outside the EU.
An article written by SGS UK for the Personal Care Magazine provides further detailed information on the product information file.
Table of Contents for the Article
- Responsible person
- PIF overview
- PIF structure
- Access to information for the public
- Location and access to product information file
About SGS Cosmetic Safety Solutions
SGS has a network of highly skilled safety assessors experienced in conducting Cosmetic Safety Assessments against the new EU cosmetics regulation. The company’s fully equipped, state of the art facilities (in Europe, Asia and the USA) offer full testing for compliance to the EU cosmetic regulation.
To find out more about how SGS can help companies comply with the EU cosmetic regulation 1223/2009, please contact an SGS Cosmetics and Personal Care expert.
SGS Consumer Testing Services
Consumer Testing Services
Cosmetic Safety Assessor
SGS United Kingdom Limited
Units 41 & 43
The Listerhills Park of Science and Commerce
Campus Road, Bradford BD7 1 HR
t: +44 (0)1274 303080
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 80,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 1,650 offices and laboratories around the world.
phone: +49-351-500 95 74
fax: +49-351-500 95 71